Year 7 Course
We have developed a complete Year 7 course for teaching coding in the classroom, which covers most of the coding requirements of the Australian Digital Technology Curriculum at Years 7 and 8.
Our Year 7 course is designed to be taught over 10 weeks with around 2 hours of contact time per week for 20 hours of contact time in total.
The course comprises of 6 core lessons, where each lesson is designed to be 2 hours in length. These are typically followed by 2 lessons of 2 hours each working on the capstone assignment. There are several optional supplementary lessons that are used to expand the material covered in the course to create a 10 week course and to add variety to the existing lessons.
The course covers basic programming concepts in Python, including:
- What is coding, what is it used for, and why is it important?
- Using the online repl.it programming environment
- Basic input and output, and how to output coloured text
- String variables and variable assignment
- Decisions and branching using if
- Simple loops, using goto
- A capstone assignment where students build their own, imaginative text adventure game
The latest version can be found here.
Year 8 Course
We have been testing a new Year 8 course. The course covers the remaining coding requirements for Years 7 and 8 in the Australian Digital Technology Curriculum.
The course is an extension of our Year 7 programme, and includes more advanced material:
- More complex programs that teach students how to solve real-world problems
- More advanced programming concepts, including:
- Loops using while
- More advanced decisions and branching using else and elif
- Calling functions and writing functions
- Using built-in Python libraries
- Testing and debugging code
- Practical classes using Edison robots that are programmed in Python
CS in Schools provides a free two-day training workshop to all volunteers and teachers that have been accepted to participate in CS in Schools. The workshop is designed to be fun and engaging, and is aimed to help everyone have the best experience in the CS in Schools programme.
Year 9 and 10 Courses
We are building a new Year 9 elective for 2021 in partnership with industry. This elective will also be available to Year 10s.
These programmes are being developed in partnership with industry and students will solve a pressing problem faced by a leading Australian company.