Year 7 Programme
We have developed a complete Year 7 programme for teaching coding in the classroom.
Our Year 7 programme is designed to be taught over 10 weeks with around 2 hours of contact time per week for 20 hours of contact time in total.
The programme comprises of 6 core lessons, where each lesson is designed to be 2 hours in length. These are typically followed by 2 lessons of 2 hours each working on the capstone assignment. There are several optional supplementary lessons that are used to expand the material covered in the programme to create a 10 week programme and to add variety to the existing lessons.
The programme covers basic programming concepts in Python, including:
- What is coding, what is used for, and why is it important?
- Using the online repl.it programming environment
- Basic input and output, and how to output coloured text
- String variables and variable assignment
- Decisions and branching using if
- Simple loops, using goto
- A capstone assignment where students build their own, imaginative text adventure game
The version that will be used in the 2020 programme can be found here.
Year 8 Pilot Programme
We are busy building a new Year 8 programme. We are testing this with around ten teachers who are returning to the CS in Schools programme in 2020. We will launch it to all teachers and schools in 2021.
The programme is an extension of our Year 7 programme, and includes more advanced material:
- More complex programs that teach students how to solve real-world problems
- More advanced programming concepts, including:
- Loops using while and for
- More advanced decisions and branching using else and elif
- Calling functions and writing functions
- Using built-in Python libraries
- Testing and debugging code
- Practical classes using Edison robots that are easily programmed in Python
CS in Schools provides a free two-day training workshop to all volunteers and teachers that have been accepted to participate in CS in Schools. The workshop is designed to be fun and engaging, and is aimed to help everyone have the best experience in the CS in Schools programme.
Year 9 and 10 Future Programmes
In 2020, we will build a Year 9 elective for testing in 2021. In 2021, we will build a Year 10 elective for testing in 2022.
After completing the Year 8 programme, a teacher (and their students) have all the basic coding concepts needed to develop simple algorithms and software solutions. We’ve covered input, output, decisions, loops, variables, functions, and libraries.
We intend in our Year 9 and 10 programmes to partner with industry to build a real-world simulation of working as a software engineer, where students will solve a pressing problem faced by a leading Australian company.